Sunday, November 30, 2008

My awesome power

There is an old spanish proverb that says
Habits are first cobwebs, then cables.

As they get stronger, habits can certainly trap you and be very hard to break. But habits are also who you are. They are your personality and your skills.
Another analogy would be...
Habits are first pathways in the woods, then superhighways.

Our neural system, the holder of our habits, is plastic. It is always being reshaped by what we do. It is fun for me to realize that, by having the patience and persistence to form new habits, I can constantly reshape who I am.
What an awesome power!

1 comment:

Paul said...

I like this Spanish proverb.

I recently read a book entitled The Happiness Hypothesis. The author uses the analogy of a rider on an elephant. The rider makes decisions but the elephant is more powerful and not always obedient. It does take "patience and persistence" to retrain the elephant. Fortunately, he can be retrained!