Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Resuming the journal habit

For decades I faithfully kept a logbook with me at all times. It recorded important details of every conversation, every business call, to do lists, promises and understandings. During non business times it recorded thoughts, theories, philosophies and dreams. It was quite the asset. Our basement has a shelf full of these journals.

When computers got good enough, I fell out of the habit of writing on paper. Computers weren't yet quite good enough to be worth carrying all the time; and they had so many easy distractions; and I no longer actually ran the details of my business. All this contributed to me falling out of the habit of writing.

The early years of this journal became the replacement. It was read by family and friends so it became more public. Rather than writing for myself I was writing for an audience. I left out the highly technical and very personal bits. Eventually I started writing some of the personal bits in another blog under another name.

Facebook came along and the audience there was much more interesting and interactive. The blogging faded and facebook absorbed that energy.

Now I realize that I really need the personal journal. My typing is better than it used to be and my handwriting is worse, so the journal will be here. There is little or no audience, so this will be written for me. It will be more personal, more technical and more boring to the average person.

My Journal is reborn.

No comments: