Sunday, December 18, 2005

Perfection

I have been struggling with the practical side of perfection. I have seen many times how having stuff that is too nice causes more grief than pleasure.

When we had three little kids, I concluded that it wasn’t worth getting so upset about all the things they broke or defaced. Sure, they had to learn to take care of things, but I didn’t have to go nuts trying to maintain possessions that are too nice for kids. I just sighed and concluded that I wasn’t going to have anything nice for the next 20 years.

It has been more than 20 years. I can have nearly any possession I want. During that time I learned that there is very little additional value to having really fine stuff. The real value in life is enjoying people and having a mission.

This philosophy affects my tastes in housing. While some folks obsess about imperfections in their finely finished woodwork, my house will be a little more rustic and perhaps a little less finished. As a place to interact with life, my house will always be a work in progress, so forgive the imperfections.

I will save obsessing and pursuit of perfection for my mission.

8 comments:

George Breed said...

"I will save obsessing and pursuit of perfection for my mission."

Excellent strategy!

Zareba said...

Well thought out. I agree that perfection and visible wealth are not one and the same. Perfection is much harder to get and to recognize when we have it. I often talk to my trees who are all older than me. Their idea of perfection suits me best.

...Z

Matthew May said...

Great post! My approach is a little easier because I don't believe perfection exists anywhere. But I do tend to be a little obessed with having nice things and taking extreme care in keeping them nice. I have not decided if that is a good thing or not.
I can see how a more rustic approach would definatly have its benefits.

:)

Paul said...

zareba,
Please tell me more about the tree's idea of perfection.

Angela said...

"The enemy of joy is the litany of 'not good enough' that picks at what is or might be, finding the imperfections, real or imagined. I am good at this - my perfectionism can tear at what is imperfect but whole, until the whole is in pieces." from the book The Invitation by Oriah Mountiain Dreamer.

Paul said...

Perfection and things -- I lost a desire for both years ago. I hunger for experience.

I like rustic houses. They have a peaceful atmosphere and are so calming.

"The real value in life is enjoying people and having a mission."

Agreed!

I find it easy to enjoy people and more difficult to find the "perfect" mission. There are too many worthy missions and I don't want to choose just one. I'm glad I'm not 18 again knowing what I now know. The choice would be impossible.

Dragonfly Shaman said...

Perfection is now. You are perfect. One's effort to attain perfection is simply due to their fear of non-existence, of death, and the unknown. Time stands still for those that live forever. And we do.

Dragonfly Shaman said...

P.S. I hope you feel better soon. Sending you healing energy. Namaste father-in-law.