Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A better path

The pressure of being habitually busy had been building for some time.

A couple weeks ago I talked my old buddy Ray into going with me on an errand that involved driving all day. We used to spend hours almost every day talking philosophy and discovering new things about god and the universe. It sustained us spiritually. It educated us. It helped propel us into a very successful adventure.

These days we are both so busy following our new and very worthwhile dream that we haven’t had time to just chat. I didn’t realize how important that was and how much we both missed it until this errand. We were alone together for eight hours of talking philosophy and discovering new things about god and the universe. It was so absorbing that we didn’t even remember driving through most of the towns on our path. It helped me realize that we have been just too busy.

When I got home after only eight hours, my email had 34 messages that needed some level of attention (not counting spam). My reaction was to shut of my computer and not turn it on again for several days. I also didn’t turn on a TV or read a newspaper for a few days. I promised myself that, at least for now, I would stop multitasking and focus more completely on one thing at a time.

Lynn and I also promoted an employee to C.O.O. and let him take the bulk of the daily busy-ness. That leaves me more free to invent and pursue spiritual aspects of life. After two weeks I feel much better; more whole; more ready to embrace a powerful new future.

No comments: