Saturday, July 28, 2007

Another kind of sychronicity?

Again, I need to rethink my theories about the cause of that inner drive that sometimes makes me feel a need to be tied up. That feeling has been extra strong the last few days.

Earliest theories had to do with socially inhibited sex drive. Last year came a realization that this drive doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sex. Recently I had been drifting back toward updates of the old theory.

Today I was surprised by 4 year old Ian when he brought me a piece of rope, put his hands behind his back and politely asked me to tie his hands. In light of the theories that had been on my mind lately, I was so surprised that I didn't really answer him. He asked me at least three times. Later I found that he asked his dad the same thing last night.

Obviously, Ian's wish to be tied up does not spring from socially imposed restrictions on his sex drive. It pokes a big hole in that line of theories. It leaves me really curious why sometimes, some of us want to be tied up. I will be looking for answers, data, research, and your input.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a child, I loved having my hands bound and the struggle of getting out. I still think it relates to being in the womb. Avery's umbilical cord was 4 feet long. After 9 months of dancing in and out and eventually putting 4 knots into it, and she was born with it wrapped around her neck 2.5 times (but in no fetal distress whatsoever (a long cord helped), I could see why, if in the future, she wants to be tied up.

It's more than simply being tied. It's the breaking free. It's the rush of freedom. (which is why you might associate it with sex (orgasm)) And perhaps the feeling of power over something, the power of overcoming a difficult situation. I could see why Ian would like that feeling. And you.

Just my thoughts.

LA

Paul said...

L.A.
Your comments make a lot of sense.

Another kind of freedom rush is the mental freedom of temporarily not having any control. You just turned it over to someone else.
That also creates a "gambling" rush.

Candor the Great said...

Perhaps it has to do with putting into honest, and physical perceptions what we all feel deep down inside of us, to go a little Freud, we all feel a little trapped in our lives, and being able to admit that, even a disjointed physical action, is liberating, no pun intended.

-Candor's Mayhem