Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Searching for how to give more deeply

Flowers and candy and store bought cards are a nice way to open a relationship. They are pleasant and state clearly that you have romantic intents.
In terms of personal relationship, they are safe and cheap. They cost you little personal effort for the huge payback they create. What's not to like?

Showering your love with commercialized safe and cheap tokens is like putting candy sprinkles on an ice cream cone. It is fun for a snack, when your dish is sweet and fat.

The love of my life is more like truffles, fillet mignon, fresh salad, finely seasoned garden vegetables.
She is delicious. She is nourishing. She is good for me.

She deserves better than safe, cheap, commodity tokens.
She deserves my time, my attention, my deepest essence.

Dear Lynn,
I give to you a physical token,
a hand made embodiment of my time and attention.

I give to you my written words,
a deeply felt attempt to condense my love for you and make it more tangible.

I share with you my karma,
a lifetime of good luck by design and effort.

Please be my valentine.
Love, Paul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like what you can compare Lynn to, now, food wise, versus when I first met her. Girl Scout Cookies isn't very romantic. Great post for everyone to read. Thanks!

LA