Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Grading on a curve

I am male.
I am hardwired to appreciate curves.
In addition, I specialize in seeing flow; seeing trends.
Even so, I am surprised at how much a curve on a graph can affect me.
A good scary curve in a graph can excite me, and haunt me.

Here is an example (from Wikipedia)

Notice the change in the slope in the last decade. That offends my sense of future.

Another set of curves that speaks volumes can be found here. (Please follow link. He won't let me copy it.)
Notice that the human population curve over 1 million years is absolutely square. Even when zoomed in to the last 1000 years, the curve is extremely close to square. Just follow that upslope and ask how long we can keep this up.
Nothing; no budget, no bacteria, no human population can continue to grow at these rates. Anything growing this fast and this continuously is likely to crash, like hitting a brick wall.

No comments: