Sunday, October 30, 2005

Bad analogy

We use analogy to understand our world. It is pretty important to find good analogies. Our power to understand is only as good as our analogies.

I was watching a university channel on satellite TV. It was a biologist explaining that biology is nano technology. It was very informative and I was marveling at how intelligent and educated he was. Then he got into his personal opinions. He explained why he disagreed with a computer expert who was saying that eventually computers will perform many functions that are now done exclusively by biology.

He went on to explain how computers can’t evolve, or heal themselves, or feel. As he made his point, he compared a single transistor to a neuron, or a single computer to all of evolution. A more fitting analogy would compare a neuron to a million transistors, and biological evolution to the evolution of electronics.

My concern was the lack of critical thinking in his arguments and the apparent lack of the same in his audience. During the questions after his talk, nobody mentioned that his analogies were way off base. These are smart people. Why the glaring lack of clarity of thought?

I can only conclude that education can (and often does) get in the way of sound thinking.

5 comments:

George Breed said...

Sitting here laughing (happily and merrily) at your conclusion. It surely fits my experience about education. The smartest students either outsmart the system or get the heck out of there.

Maybe you have found a new career -- Analogy Enhancer.

Paul said...

I agree with your points about analogy.

After the last 31 years on four campuses, my concern with higher education is that it is no longer sacred but simply a commodity to be marketed. Perhaps this was a production with a staged audience -- simply a product of the marketing office. Perhaps this was an example of "don't question authority" with is the antithesis of eduction. Unfortunately, education is sometimes defined as "knowing facts" which can be void of critical thinking. I don't like it or agree with it but that's the current trend from my limited experience.

Anonymous said...

When someone speaks from authority, people don't even engage the analytical portion of their brains... why bother, it's an "expert"!

This is the danger of Rush, O'Reilly, et al. "Hey, they's on the TV, so they gots them facts!" Why form your own opinions when someone else has worked so hard to provide some for you? It would be rude not to value their work!

Round Belly said...

The only true education is that which you give yourself.

Paul said...

I think each of you have made astute comments.
george... I love the career title "Analogy Enhancer" I will proudly include that in my job description.

By the way, I DID get the heck out of college in my second year because it was getting in the way of my education. I never regretted it.

i wonder... I don't believe that this production was staged for tv. Nor do I feel that he had a "don't question authority" attitude. I was impressed by him in general. I was just blown away by the lack of clear thinking.
I fully agree that education seems to be way more about memorizing facts and less about clarity of thought. It would be fun to try to define what things lead us to clarity.

hamumu... In a book titled "Oh what a blow that phantom gave me!" (What a great title!) an anthropologist showed how radio completely changed cultures as they became exposed to it. The disembodied voice is somehow equated with the power of a God. That sheds light on how Rush, et al have any power.

round belly... That is the education that stick with you.