Friday, October 14, 2005

Stranger in a strange land

Yesterday, while my car was getting fixed at a Chevy dealer, I allowed myself to interact with a salesman. I asked him if he had any hybrids.
No.
Did he have any high mileage cars?
Sure, how about an Impala. They get 30 mpg on the highway.
Do you have an enclosed truck?
He proceeded to show me his Suburbans, all the time focused on color, leather, navigating package, DVD videos. Little or no mention of actual transportation features.
OK, let’s try the other extreme… Do you have any tiny high mileage cars?
He pointed me to a little four cylinder that gets 30 mpg. (same as the Impala).

No wonder GM is in trouble. They aren’t selling transportation or efficiency. They are only selling features, status and power. Controlling consumers with powerful advertisements that prey on our vanity has worked on Americans for so long that GM has forgotten what business they are actually in.

Toyota remembers.

3 comments:

Round Belly said...

in the same vein, Eco Sprites don't belong in the city

Paul said...

I like the term "Eco sprite".
Is that a soft drink?
Or little woodland fairies?

Round Belly said...

wood land fairy