Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Design decision

I have been focusing on creating houses that are low energy usage even in Minnesota winters. Next year we intend to build several new buildings to practice with. The design process is filled with a zillion possibilites and we need to narrow our choices.

How about if each building we make also focuses on food production?
I think we can make some nice buildings that heat themselves and the whole south side is a self heating greenhouse. The roof is a garden. The north side includes food storage. The landscaping is edible.

This whole cluster of buildings fosters a local economy that is less buffeted by the winds in the larger economy.

7 comments:

George Breed said...

I can see it.
I especially like the fostering of local economy.

Paul said...

George,
Don't you ever sleep?

George Breed said...

Don't you?

George Breed said...

I appreciate your comments on warrior geezer. You are a man of intellect and insight.

Round Belly said...

Great ideas come on snowy nights (at least for us Minnesnowdans)

Paul said...

I'm not a "survivalist" but I get some sense of inner satisfaction out of being self-sufficient. It just seems right and wise and rewarding. I'm looking forward to hearing about your designs -- and, perhaps, borrowing some ideas.

Paul said...

i wonder,
If we do a really good job, maybe we will be worthy of having people borrow our ideas.