Friday, November 25, 2005

Dream on

The gift economy is taking shape. Bill Gates should show his moxie by embracing it rather than letting Microsoft become a relic of an older economic system.

I would love to see this story play out...

Microsoft decides that they have made enough money the classical way. It's time to be bold. In order to compete with Linux, Microsoft decides to lead the way into the golden age of the "gift" economy. They warn all their stockholders that they will start giving away software over the net. For half a year, Microsoft will buy back stock from any stockholder who wants to sell. Few people sell because they figure Bill has something lucrative up his sleeve.

Finally it happens. On the internet, Microsoft releases new versions of office and every other popular software product, totally free. The uptake is huge. Millions of users insist that anyone they do business with should use the same software. Businesses everywhere suddenly find that they need assistance with updating, and training, and customizing. Microsoft is in that service business, and now they are busier than ever.

Of course in any major shift, certain types of employees become obsolete and need to be retrained. Advertising, marketing and retail people will be retrained as customer service personel. Without copyright issues, lawyers will have much less to sue about. They could be retrained as greeters at Wall Mart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you misspelled walmart. (: (Wall Mart)

LA

Paul said...

I enjoy evolution. What is next? Our current definitions of economics and democracy are not the final word.

Paul said...

I wonder,
If you enjoy evolution, you will be thrilled by this century. According to Ray Kurzweil, technical evolution is changing at a double exponential rate. This century will see changes equal to 20,000 times the change we saw in the year 2000. It will drive profound social and spiritual changes (as humans know it).

The upcoming gift economy will be possible only to the extent we flatten social hierarchy. It also works best when small groups provide their own needs, such as food and fuel.
You and I are acting on the sense that we need to provide for ourselves, and it feels right. Others want to, but it is really difficult to change enough habits.

Paul said...

Paul, Recently I had a conversation with a young man of about 27 who lives in Dallas. He's feeling the pressure of metropolitan life, comsumption, commuting, traffic, etc, and said that he sometimes feels like leaving it all and retreating to a simpler life. In the course of the conversation, I made the statement that I didn't want the government to take care of me -- no social security, etc -- because I enjoy taking care of myself. His response was "But, I'm afraid I can't take care of myself". I feel a desire to show others that it is possible, to share some skills and knowledge and to encourage others to join me. The risks are not that great but the rewards are huge.

Paul said...

I wonder, Be the inspiration.

Just by the fact that you are doing it is inspiration to me. If you explain it to people, it will be inspiration to others.

Changing personal habits is the hardest part. It takes a lot of inspiration and examples to encourage someone to change habits.