Monday, September 05, 2005

Secrets

Lynn told me I should write this down...
Recently another guy who is trying to build an ecological research campus wanted to explore how our two businesses can work more closely with each other. As a matter of course any businesses sharing information with each other usually sign a non disclosure document that says they won't disclose any secrets. When he handed me the document to sign, I gave him my speech...

When we freely share information about what we are doing, people want to help. They will happily give pointers and advice. They will connect you to people you need to know and will share the excitement of your project. People like to help someone be a success. To be successful, your project needs to have the right people talking about it to everyone who could help. (There is a reason why fame and fortune are intimately linked.)

When it comes to having technical secrets; I have found that there are basically two kinds of people. One kind couldn’t make use of your know-how if you personally handed them all your notes. The other kind (much more rare) could simply see the concept of what you are doing and they could work out a way to do it better. There is no sense keeping a secret from either one.

There are a lot of reasons to share (mostly) openly with both kinds of people. They can help you.

3 comments:

Round Belly said...

I agree,
If you feel the need for non-disclousure you loose the ability to use the other's person's brains and connections.
Personally, I know I need all my other person's brains and connections and excitment. They can talk about me/what we are doing as a business any time!

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in keeping secrets. And I don't believe that secrets truly exist.

LA

Solange Hommel said...

Right on!
Without that kind of openness and freedom of thought there is no hope of future growth. If we spend all our time keeping secrets from each other, humanity can only fester, rather than blooming.