Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Top of the world

Vacation Update 5

Friday night, Lynn and I were sitting on top of Hawaii, cuddled into parkas and shivering. We were watching the spectacular sunset that can only be seen from top of a 13000 foot mountain in the middle of a tropical ocean. We were touring the observatories on top of mauna Kea. While watching the sunset in this rather remote place, I decided to check my cell phone, and it worked. This seemed so amazing to me that I disturbed some of my kids by calling them from the top of the world after their bedtime.
The tour guides and drivers only stay at the top for about a half hour. There is so little oxygen at that height that they start getting loopy if they stay longer. I was noticing a few weird physiological effects in myself. We descended to 9000 feet and set up telescopes and got a bunch of lessons about the (incredibly clear) night sky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so envious.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the call! It was fun to tell Ryan about it in the morning. It's too bad your signal strength barfed because I had questions galore! But now you're home and I'll just have to bombard you this weekend.

LA